There is a proposal in the Pennsylvania General Assembly called Growing Greener 3. It would invest $500 million in:
- conservation of open space and farmland,
- clean water initiatives,
- upgrades in state parks and forests,
- projects to reduce flooding, and
- trails, greenways, and parks.
There are two pieces of good news, and one problem. First, there is bipartisan support to use federal American Rescue Plan Act funds for these local investments. Second, Pennsylvania revenues are at all-time highs—we can afford to make this happen.
The problem is this: the representatives and senators who are championing this legislation tell us they are not hearing about it from their constituents.
This is where you can help. Would you please take just a moment to tell your elected officials that this investment is important and urgently needed? The NEXT TWO WEEKS are the most important to get the message out.
Here’s what to do:
- Call or email your representative and senator. You can find your legislators at this link.
- Tell them that the issues listed above are important to you.
- Ask them to support Growing Greener 3.
- Ask them to talk to their leadership in the House/Senate to urge their support of Growing Greener 3.
Please share this message with friends, neighbors, and family who also might be willing to make a call.
Thank you for making your voice heard, and for speaking up for nature!
See below for more information on Growing Greener and a sample letter..
Make your voice heard via these steps:
- Gather your thoughts on why this important investment is important to you and your community. A great place to start is Growing Greener’s sample needs and opportunities, as well as sample messages. We’ve made a sample script using Growing Greener’s sample messages below.
- Contact your state senator and representative by clicking here.
- Ask them to support legislative initiatives (often referred to as “Growing Greener III”) to make these investments happen. Further ask them to talk to their fellow legislators and legislative leaders about the needs and opportunity to do something now.
- Connect with your friends, colleagues, and partners to spread this message.
Sample script using Growing Greener Initiatives Talking Points:
Hello, my name is ________ and I am reaching out from __[municipality]__ in __[county]__. I am reaching out to show my support for the legislative initiatives known as “Growing Greener III” (SB 525 and HB 2020) that allocate American Rescue plan dollars for natural infrastructure and recreation.
[_Share personal connection ex/ As a volunteer for my local watershed organization, I see ___]
From nature-based solutions that prevent flooding and stream degradation (including installation of riparian forest buffers, passive AMD treatment, and wetland restoration) to the rehabilitation of parks and trails and protection of wildlife habitat that underpin a large part of the Commonwealth’s tourism and outdoor recreation economies, American Rescue Plan dollars can make a tremendous difference in the lives of Pennsylvanians
The remaining 2.7 billion in American Rescue Plan funds provide a golden opportunity to address these pressing needs for future generations.
The purpose of ARP is to address the economic repercussions the COVID-19 pandemic has had on households, small businesses, nonprofits, and industries such as tourism and hospitality. Environmental Stewardship Fund investments benefit all these groups and communities. Natural infrastructure projects in PA waterways, parks, forests, and open space are the reason why PA’s tourism industry was able to flourish in 2020, despite the COVID emergency. Public use of parks, preserves, and trails has doubled, tripled, and quadrupled across the Commonwealth. As the state reopens, it appears that considerably higher public use of outdoor recreation spaces is a new norm for Pennsylvania. 91% of PA voters believe that is a time of COVID, it is more important than ever to have parks, preserves, and other public spaces where we can safely enjoy the outdoors.
Green infrastructure investments support small businesses and create jobs. They are proven programs for stimulating local economies across the state.
Please support the bipartisan effort “Growing Greener III” to invest to meet these new opportunities today.